SCCITL is pleased to announce our keynote speaker for the 2021 conference, Dr. Yvonne Hernandez Friedman, Vice President for Student Affairs, Coastal Carolina University.
Trauma Informed Teaching & Pedagogy: Navigating Change as Educators
As we enter an endemic and continue to be exposed to political/societal trauma, we are navigating its effects within ourselves and our students. Our ability to be trauma informed is necessary in order to be successful educators and researchers in higher and postsecondary education. Understanding the manifestations of trauma in students and communities will create a new level of compassion, but will also require as sense of renewal in educational approach across all disciplines. No longer can we lean on practices of the past, as educators we must look toward innovative tools and strategies to create an inclusive learning environment for all students, but especially those students from our most vulnerable and underrepresented populations.
In this keynote, participants will:
- Understand what it means to be a trauma informed educator and researcher in higher education
- Impacts and manifestations of trauma in students and underserved populations
- Strategies for applying a trauma informed response in the classroom and in research to meet the needs of students and participants
- Walk away with tangible techniques and responses that can be applied immediately on the job
- Caring for ourselves as educators to prevent burn out and compassion fatigue
Dr. Yvonne Hernandez Friedman is a higher education professional with 20 years’ experience in the field of student affairs and auxiliary services. Her educational background is in educational equity and social justice and specializes in utilizing visual anthropology to assist underserved communities in creating contextual understanding of their experiences in the higher education environment through the use of photography and storytelling. Dr. Hernandez Friedman is a Certified Diversity Executive (CDE) ® and enjoys consulting with higher education professionals to reimagine administration and teaching to manifest a contemporary approach. Yvonne is also an executive and career confidence coach with Academic Impressions and private practice.